CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 22, 2011

"What's the capital of Ohio?" - "O!" *

In our first quiz of the semester we were asked the question, "What do you think is the biggest challenge to teaching Social Studies [in your upper elementary classroom]?" One answer that everyone could agree on is time. How do you allot enough time to cover the subject adequately? How do you integrate all the subjects into the day and cover them in a way that is beneficial to your students? This is one of my biggest fears about teaching but I also worry about knowing the subject and its content.

How do you know all that you need to know? There is a lot of information to cover and how do you cover it in a way that your students enjoy, while still getting to all that you need to? Children can get on a subject that they enjoy and what if you don’t know the answer to their question? I know you can tell them you’ll look it up and get back to them, but what if that makes their interest wane and discourages them from the topic?

Children can think of all kinds of things that, to them, is the right answer to a question, as exemplified in my title. With misinterpreted questions and their quirky, if well meaning, answers I find that I question my own understanding of topics and my coordinating background knowledge. Do I have what it takes to become a great teacher? Will I be able to encourage and guide my students through their own challenging educational journey, while still getting everything done? 


Hopefully throughout my journey, I can discover what I need to know and how I can implement it in a way that is beneficial to everyone, the students, myself and the parents. 


*Title is taken from the Glee Season 3, Episode 2 trailer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment